Friday, November 30, 2012

Spinning Star Blocks

I'm not quite sure when I started these but I came across them and decided I would just do a few more before I put them away again.  I remember them being a bit tricky but I think I was trying to learn partial seams.


I realize that things like pinning that I avoided at all cost back then, come quite naturally to me now.  Needless to say they are going together great this time around.  But now I am willing to spend the time pinning ( less ripping )

This is how the pile looked when I first dug it out.  Hmmm....

What is this mysterious block??  Let me tell you; that jog stitch in the centre of the block is amazing in that you get four HSTs exactly the same (no mirror images).  So you put the two contrasting colours together right sides facing.  Draw two diagonals on the lighter square.  Start sewing 1/4" to  left of a diagonal line.  When you reach the line crossing the one you are following stop with needle down in that crossline.  Make a ninety degree turn. stitch 6 stitches (at 2.0mm stitch length) Turn 90 degrees again.  Now you are on the right side of the same diagonal line you were following at the beginning.
Do the same for the other diagonal line.  Press.  Rotary cut the square apart on the pencil lines.  Press seams open of course.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by, and for dropping me a line.