Saturday, February 20, 2016

Spinning Wheels, my Aunt Maude Quilt

When my parents married, my Mom was sent a quilt top made by her Aunt Maude who lived in BC.  The top languished for a few years and then my Mom undertook to quilt it herself although she had never done such a thing.  Winters in Manitoba are long and cold. It seemed like a good idea.  I have always admired that quilt and was mesmerized by the pattern.


It has seen a lot of wear since the early 1950s.  Recently my Mom gifted it to me.  I am delighted to be the keeper of Aunt Maude's quilt.

But I had to go one better and try to make some of these blocks.  Well I found out why you don't see this block in quilting magazines.


It was a challenge just to get it drafted up.  But I think my effort was worth it.



When I finished nine blocks I called it a day.  Let me tell you though there are lots of mis-cut and wonky pieces in the bottom of the bin, sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by, and for dropping me a line.