Monday, October 14, 2013

New Shopping Bag

So I have this problem with the shopping bags you buy for a $1 or so or maybe the ones that are given to me - they are just too big.  If I let the grocery store carry out people fill them they are often too heavy for me later.  Plus, I seem to have crushed stuff when I get home...so I looked at the grocery bag made of flimsy plastic

plastic grocery bag

and thought they are designed this size and shape because they work....so....

grocery bag, blue bag

I made a simple pattern by cutting the bag open....

carry bag, simple bag

After that I finished the edges, first with the serger and then by turning under a smidge and topstitching .

shopping bag, simple bag. blue bag

Voila, it's a wonderful thing.  In case you wonder the bottom was double stitched on the outside and then serged also on the outside as befits such a utilitarian item.
I made two like this and my DH promptly expropriated them for his lunch (all those round glass dishes) and his gym things.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by, and for dropping me a line.