Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Packing Tape Photo-Transfers

I saw this on Scrapbook Soup on our local PBS station.  What a great idea.  I love Beth's ideas but this one was over the top.

You take regular old packing tape and grab a magazine.  I have been good with the recycle but I had a Legion magazine (flimsiest paper ever but no worries)

Page through and lay a piece of tape over a half dozen + images that take your fancy.  Bright colours are good but not essential.  If the picture is large overlap the tape by a scant quarter inch.  Using paper scissors, cut out the pictures leaving a tiny margin outside the tape shape.

Important step:  Burnish the tape onto the picture with the side of a pencil of wooden spoon.  Don't worry about wrinkles - they just add character.

Now put some water in a bowl and submerge the paper/tape strips.  Let soak a few minutes and start to gently rub off the paper from the backside.  Voila!  You have a lovely transparent rendition of the picture in the magazine.


Here's what I got in about 5 minutes.  Cool, huh?  Pat dry and you have some cool art.  Beth, on the show used her's for scrapbooking but I wanted to sew mine.

I layered a couple of pieces of printer paper and overlaid some tracing paper.  Then I got busy with some silk ribbon and my sewing machine...

I can't get over how easy it was....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by, and for dropping me a line.