Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Smells of the season

I found a recipe for spices to add to mulled wine for the Christmas season.  I liked the sound of it so I filched the idea for my christmas tree.  (Normally I would link you here to her site but I saw it on Google reader and my history button doesn't show where I have been.  Darn it. )

I do not have a real tree so I thought I would hang a small pouch of spices on it.  It works really well.  The smell isn't predominant all the time but it comes and goes.  I like that.  Yesterday evening it was nice and spicy - maybe cause the furnace comes on more.  But this morning I'm not smelling it so much.  Suits me.

spice, fragrance for tree, tree, christmas tree,

Here's my recipe:  6-8 whole cloves
                             6-8 whole allspice
                              6-8 whole cardamom pods, slightly crushed
                              a cinnamon stick

I made a small cheese cloth bag like you would for bouquet garni in your stew pot.  I put the spices in, splitting most of the pods open.  Then I tied it shut, adding a cinnamon stick on the outside.  Don't forget the cardamom it is really important to round out the fragrance.

I will leave you with a picture one of the beautiful ornaments my mother in law made me before she passed away.

crochet, christmas ball, decoration

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by, and for dropping me a line.